Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

Merit Badges

Merit Badges Procedure


Progress toward a merit badge is recorded on a “blue card”

  • Scout: Before beginning work on a merit badge, ask the Advancement Table to print out a blue card for the merit badge. Next, contact the appropriate counselor (Advancement Table has this information) to work on the badge. Each badge requires an authorized counselor. Once all items on the card are complete, turn in the blue card signed by the counselor to the Advancement Table. Badges are usually available at the next meeting.
  • Note: Do not take Merit Badge classes from outside the Troop without the Scoutmaster approval. You need to get the blue card from the Advancement Table PRIOR to taking the Merit Badge class.
  • Note: Cooking and Camping Merit Badges are the few MB that are required to be taken within the Troop.


  • Winter Class: the instructor for each class held in January and February will handle blue cards. Scouts who do not complete the badge by the end of the class need to work with the instructor individually.


  • Goshen: The troop handles all the paperwork and blue cards required for rank advancement and merit badges achieved at Goshen



What are Merit Badges?

You can learn about sports, crafts, science, trades, business, and future careers as you earn merit badges. There are more than 135 merit badges, and any Boy Scout or Varsity Scout, or any qualified Venturer or Sea Scout may earn any of these at any time.

Pick a Subject. Talk to your unit leader about your interests. Read the requirements of the merit badges you think might interest you, and pick one to earn. Your leader will give you the name of a person from a list of counselors. These individuals have special knowledge in their merit badge subjects and are interested in helping you.

Scout Buddy System. You must have another person with you at each meeting with the merit badge counselor. This person can be another Scout, your parents or guardian, a brother or sister, a relative, or a friend.

Call the Merit Badge Counselor. Get a signed Application for Merit Badge, No. 34124 or No. 34130, from your unit leader. Get in touch with the merit badge counselor and explain that you want to earn the badge. The counselor may ask to meet you to explain what is expected and to start helping you meet the requirements. You should also discuss work you have already started or possibly completed.

MORE ……..



Merit Badge Wiki

Merit Badge Worksheets



Other Useful Links


© 2023 Troop 1128 – Vienna, VA - Boy Scouts of America | WordPress Admin
© 2023 Troop 1128 – Vienna, VA - Boy Scouts of America
WordPress Admin